At Kraken, we’re always striving to keep clients on top of what’s happening in the fast-moving cryptocurrency sector. Whether you want to invest or participate in the latest projects, or are just looking to trade momentum assets on the move right now, we’ve got you covered with our large and growing selection of the most popular cryptos.
One emerging trend, part of the huge growth of the DeFi movement, is the development of decentralized exchanges (DEXs) that operate without order books. This is done in an effort to avoid the poor liquidity or price slippage issues that can be seen with the relatively thin order books on some decentralized exchanges.
In addition to offering novel mechanisms for providing liquidity to buyers and sellers, these DEXs offer an incentive for holders to supply liquidity by staking assets on the network, or locking them in liquidity pools, in return for a share of transaction fees. Thus cryptocurrency holders have a way to earn from their assets, while cryptocurrency buyers and sellers can transact at potentially better prices than they might find in other decentralized markets.
Given the huge popularity of these “bookless” DEXs, we are excited to list three new crypto assets powering them:
- Synthetix (SNX) – Synthetix allows anyone to trade derivatives of a wide range of real-world assets (e.g., USD, stocks, etc.) and crypto assets (e.g., Bitcoin).
- Curve (CRV) – Curve provides an automatic market maker (AMM) offering liquidity pools that focus on stablecoin pairs.
- Balancer (BAL) – Balancer works similarly to Curve, but offers up to 8 assets in their liquidity pools compared to Curve’s 2, and offers a wider variety of assets.
Also, following on the huge success of our Polkadot (DOT) listing, we’re listing its “cousin” protocol.
- Kusama (KSM) – Kusama’s protocol serves as a pre-production environment for the Polkadot blockchain, meaning that any developer can experiment and test new technologies on the Kusama blockchain before releasing them on Polkadot. Importantly, Polkadot upgrades are also tested on Kusama before their release.
What time will funding and trading start?
- Funding: Kraken will enable deposits and withdrawals for all four assets at approximately 13:30 UTC on September 17.
- Trading: The first trades will start shortly after funding is enabled as sell orders cannot be placed until deposits clear (see the required confirmation times for deposits here).
- Updates will be posted on the status page near launch time.
There will be four trading pairs for each asset for trading in USD, EUR, Bitcoin (XBT), and Ether (ETH):
- USD (e.g. SNX/USD)
- EUR (e.g. BAL/EUR)
- XBT (e.g. CRV/XBT)
- ETH (e.g. KSM/ETH)
How to deposit
- Navigate to “Funding” > Select the asset. You can find the asset either by ticking “Show all assets” or by searching (e.g for “Synthetix (SNX)”).
- Click “Deposit” next to the asset and follow the on-screen instructions.
Confirmations required before deposits credit
- Synthetix (SNX): 30
- Balancer (BAL): 30
- Curve (CRV): 30
- Kusama (KSM): 25
- Synthetix (SNX): 1
- Balancer (BAL): 0.1
- Curve (CRV): 1
- Kusama (KSM): 0.1
You can review the fees for all four assets here.
Which services will the assets be available for?
Not (yet) available
Will Kraken list more assets?
Yes! But our policy is to never reveal any details until shortly before launch – not even about which assets we are considering. Our client engagement specialists cannot answer any questions about which assets we may be listing in the future.
Trade with caution
Limit orders are recommended when trading starts since the markets may be illiquid initially. Be extremely careful with market orders and orders that trigger market orders (e.g. stop loss).
Invest with caution
Listing an asset or token for trade is not a recommendation to buy, sell, or participate in the associated network. Do your own research and invest at your own risk.