Kraken is excited to announce we will soon be reopening services in Japan, a move that’s part of a broader initiative to expand our industry-leading services into high-growth APAC markets.
The announcement follows Kraken’s expansion into the rapidly growing Australian market with the acquisition of Bit Trade and the launch of funding and trading in Australian dollars.
We believe the Japan market is ripe for re-entry. Interest in cryptocurrencies is spiking globally, and with its crypto-friendly history and well-established regulatory environment, Japan is poised to be a leading country in the next wave of crypto adoption.
Kraken exited Japan in 2018 in order to focus its resources on improving in other markets that were growing exponentially at the time.
However, Kraken has been preparing for the re-entry for two years, in that time establishing a Tokyo-based subsidiary, Payward Asia, and building up internal governance and controls in accordance with local regulations.
Kraken completed its registration as a Crypto Asset Exchange Service Provider under the Payment Services Act on September 8.
Japan residents can create accounts starting September 18
- Starting September 18 at 10:00am JST, Japan residents can create accounts here: https://www.kraken.com/sign-up
- Kraken is working to launch account funding and trading as soon as possible. We recommend that clients create their accounts early so the onboarding process is complete prior launch.
- Please note that Japan residents who previously traded with Kraken will need to create new accounts.
When will Kraken launch service?
- The exact date for funding and trading has not yet been set, but we expect to launch in late September or early October.
What services will be available at launch?
- Domestic JPY deposits and withdrawals (through SBI Sumishin Net Bank).
- Spot trading in 5 major cryptocurrencies – Bitcoin (XBT), Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Litecoin (LTC). Both crypto-crypto and JPY-crypto trading pairs will be available.
- We plan to offer more assets and services in the coming months
You must be logged in to post a comment.